Friday, September 13, 2013

Helaman 5:12

Dear Daniel,

This is for you and everyone.

"And now, Daniel, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that you must build your foundation that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which you are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman 5:12, adapted to your name)

This morning I was led to read Helaman 5:10.  It turns out my friend (who doesn't really know me, but I'd like to consider him my friend) got spanked and excommunicated by the church.  Amazingly, he seems to feel no hostility or resentment toward anyone involved.  I am amazed by his pure love of Christ.

Helaman 5:10 tells me

And remember also the words which Amulek spake unto Zeezrom (these are pretty awesome words, and I do remember them) in the city of Ammonihah (which had since become destroyed, as he and Alma warned/prophecied); for he said unto him that the Lord surely should come to redeem his people, but that he should not come to redeem them in their sins, but to redeem them from their sins.

Big difference noted.  The Lord will not come to redeem us in our sins, but from our sins.  What, exactly, does that mean?  The next verse tells us that the difference is repentance.  And I learned from Denver and my other friend Daniel that repent means "to turn" to God.  Denver wrote that to repent in Greek means "to come home".  I really love that, much better than the Latin translation, "to feel sorrow" or "to feel pain".  Interesting, indeed, that we choose the negative connotation.  God would have us return home, wouldn't he?

I love you.
~Mom<3  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.