Thursday, April 27, 2017

Lambs and Doves

In 2 Nephi 13 (Simple Copy), Nephi says – and I take liberty in likening it in form of a poem for deeper analysis – and items in parenthesis are added by myself:


And now if the Lamb of God 


he being holy
should have need 
to be baptized 
by water 
to fulfil all righteousness 
then how much more need 
have we 
being unholy 
to be baptized 
yes 
even by water 

And now 
I would ask of you 
my beloved brethren 
wherein the Lamb 
of God did fulfil 
all righteousness 
in be(-)ing 
baptized by water 
Know you not 
that 

he was holy 

But 

notwithstanding he being holy 
he shows 
unto the children 
of men 

that according to the flesh he humbles himself 
before the Father 
and witnesses 
unto the Father 

that 

he would be obedient 
unto him 
in keeping his commandments 

wherefore 

after 

he was baptized with water 
the Holy Ghost descended upon him 
in the form of a dove 



And again 
It shows unto the children 
of men 
the straightness 
of the path 
and the narrowness 
of the gate 
by which they should enter 

he having set the example before them 
And he said unto the children 
of men 
follow you me 

Wherefore 

my beloved brethren 

can we follow 
Jesus 

save we will be willing 
to keep the commandments of the Father 

And the father said 

repent you repent you (YOU REPENT!  YOU REPENT!!!)

and be baptized 
in the name of 
my 
beloved Son 

And also 

the voice of the Son came 

unto me saying 
he 
that is baptized in my name 
to him 
will the father give 
the holy Ghost 
like 
unto me 

wherefore follow me 
and do the things 
which you have seen me do 

Wherefore 

my beloved brethren 

I know that if you 
will follow the Son 
with full purpose of heart 
acting no hypocrisy and 
no deception before God 
but with real intent 
repenting of your sins 
witnessing unto the Father 
that you are willing 
to take upon you the name of Christ 
by baptism yes 
by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water according to his word 
behold then 
will you receive the holy Ghost 
yes then 
comes the baptism of fire 
and of the Holy Ghost 

and then
can you speak 
with the tongue of angels 
and shout 
praises unto the Holy One of Israel(!)

As an aside: 

Nephi is well aware of Christ's given name.  He refers to the Lamb of God several times in chapter 13.  He also references the dove.  He also references the voice of the Father.  If Christ is both described and named as the Lamb, the Holy Ghost is as a dove, what do you suppose the Father may be likened to? 

2 comments:

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.