Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sell all that Thou Hast

Dear Josten,

I've been thinking A LOT lately about a few verses of scripture.  They have been hot on my mind, and I frequently hear these verses recited of late:  

“Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” (Luke 18:22-25)

These words have left a strong impression on me, and I have been trying to "lighten the load" of "stuff" I have in my home.  The other day, as I was de-cluttering, pondering these verses yet again, something dawned on me, and I want to share it with you so I don't forget.

I often wondered why Jesus didn't just tell this rich man to just donate his stuff to the Goodwill, Jubilee, or Deseret Industries?  Why does he tell him to "sell" all that he had?  Should I be selling what I have, and giving the money to the poor?  Attempting to sell what I have would not be worth the time to sell.  It's not worth anything, and if it is, my time is more valuable than to try to sell it.

This is where bells went off in my head.  As far as material possessions, while I have enough for my needs, when it comes to selling anything in the area in which I live, I am poor!  Aha!!!  hahaha!!!  After months and months of pondering these verses, I realized it.  I am poor, at least in terms of financial wealth.  There are only a few items that would garner more than a few dollars at a yard sale, and that is my bed and my electric piano.  Everything else would be chump change!  For this scenario, the instruction is clear.

If I had money, I would give.  King Benjamin reports:
And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.  (Mosiah 4:24)
I would love to give anything I had to the poor, if I knew what was needed.  I am quite positive that there is great room for improvement here, and am by no means perfect.  For the time being, I donate what I feel I should to our local thrift store.  We don't have many visibly homeless in our town, but I would gladly give as needed.  After so much time pondering these verses, I am grateful to have had an "aha" moment.  And I look forward to the day in which I can have more to give!

Hugs!
~Mom<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.