Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Thee, Thou, Ye, You

In my studies today, I was in D.&C. Section 30s, meaning I've been digging around in Section 30 thru 34 or so.  I opened up my awesome copy of the Joseph Smith Papers, Revelations Vol. 1, and found the corresponding copies of the original manuscripts.  A few thoughts I'd like to share.

The archaic language of the original is largely edited.  Any reference from original dictation of "thee", "thou", "ye", etc. are all changed to "you".  Of late I have been reading some who enjoy praying with "you" instead of the older-style words.  I thought to give it a try myself.  Surely this crossing-out implied that while Joseph received it in the archaic style, those of his day were more apt to say and better understand "you".  What does it tell us?  Does God speak in Thees and Thous?

Another fun one: D&C 34:3-4 says in my leather bound, 1981 edition,

"Who so loved the world that he gave his own life, that as many as would believe might become the sons of God.  Wherefore you are my son; And blessed are you because you have believed;"

Original copy records to thusly (although my copy may not have all the editing notations in the manuscripts):

Who so loved the world that he gave his own life, that as many as would believe might become the Sons & daughter of God: Wherefore ye are my son, and blessed are you because ye have believed"
From Beloved Enos I learned to read this differently as well.  I won't spoil the fun by sharing, but point  you toward that Snuffer book.  (Kindle version costs less than many fast food dinners.)  It has opened my eyes up to some beautiful, beautiful discoveries when it comes to these kinds of word labels.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.