Saturday, July 5, 2014

Noah Uncorrelated

Why was Noah required to build an ark?  Why was the earth cleansed?

In preparing my correlated lesson for Primary tomorrow, topic "I love my whole family," (vs. I belong to a family, which was 2 weeks ago), I felt moved to speak about Noah.  In opening up the Topical Guide to find where the story is (yes, lame, I know), I was referred to the Bible Dictionary.  In turning to the BD, I learned there are a few spaces where Noah is discussed.  The one with a large part of the story is in Genesis 6.

In turning there, I began to read.  What was the cause of the flood?  Surely the wickedness of the people.

But what do we think the word wickedness really describes?  Usually it's sex and being a mean person.  Imagine my surprise when I found verbage other than the word "wickedness".  In fact, the word "wicked" is not there.

"The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.  And God looked upon the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.  And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth." (Genesis 6:11-13)
 I asked my mom why she thought the earth was destroyed.  I pointed out we suppose it was due to general wickedness.  But what was the main sin?

She supposed this – "That the people couldn't keep their pants zipped."  Just like what I thought.  So amazing what happens when I just take a few minutes to actually crack open the books.  I learn something uncorrelated, un-manualized, and nearly unreal.  If the earth was cleansed due to violence, ought we not to work out our salvation with fear and trembling?  EIGHT people were spared.  Noah, his wife, his three sons, and their wives.  I'm not a violent person, but today I chucked a toy across the room that my kids were fighting over.  It made me mad.  Was that violent?  Not sure.  But it wasn't kind.

I'm sure this could turn into a very long post, but I'm grateful for the freedom to teach uncorrelated.  When the manual is boring and repetitive, open up the real manual and teach the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.