Monday, March 26, 2012

Simple Testimony: Sabbath Days

I LOVE the Sabbath.  It's one of those 10 commandments that often gets overlooked, or perhaps marginalized.  I don't know why, but it seems a shame to me.  Attempting to honor it has been one of the greatest blessings in my life.

On Sundays, I go to church, but I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to have church on another day of the week, as it doesn't seem that "restful".  But I appreciate having the words of the Lord through the prophet Moses:

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God:

in it thou shalt not do any work,

thou,

nor thy son,

nor thy daughter,

thy manservant,

nor thy maidservant,

nor thy cattle,

nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth,

the sea,

and all that in them is,

and rested the seventh day:

wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day,

and hallowed it." 

(Exodus 20: 8-11)
I love the implications for this.  Does it mean that it's only us and our "maidservant" that gets a break on the Sabbath?  Who is our servant, or our cattle, nowadays that very few of us have personal servants?  What's the underlying principle?  

This is one of those commandments that seems more difficult to keep for some, but I have found the greatest blessings from observing it.  

What do you do on the Sabbath day, to help keep it hallowed? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.