Monday, March 19, 2012

Health Bus: Incorporating Beans & Red Peppers

A few weeks ago it dawned on me that I'm not getting enough protein in my diet.  After reading a book called Original Fast Foods, written by James and Colleen Simmons, I was really intrigued with how major world religions discourage the over-consumption of meat, if they support eating it at all.  The quotes they shared in the book really motivated me to attempt to try alternate methods of getting protein in my body. 

So I decided I'm really ok with bean dips.  Otherwise, I'm not the biggest fan of beans.  But here's an adapted recipe (meaning I found it online, and adjusted it for what I had vs. didn't have) that has fit the tastes of at least three of those in my household.  Shall I call it "Red Pepper Bean Dip"?  I shall. :)

Into the blender throw:
1 can (drained) of chick peas (AKA garbanzo beans). 
1 red pepper, stem cut out (keep in the rest).  You could try green, orange or yellow pepper to change up the color and flavor a little, if you like. 
3/4 lemon, juiced (or about 3 T.)
1 T. garlic powder (or 2 or so cloves of crushed garlic)
1 T. cumin
1 t. chili powder

When I tried blending this, my blender didn't like that there were only beans.  I dumped the whole batch out, and tried pepper first.  It didn't like that either.  I resorted to chopping up the pepper into strips, and adding a little water. 

Once you get your blender to cooperate, it'll come out looking pretty like this:


Mmmmm.   (The lettuce just magically appeared too...:)  My little boys love it.  They each ate at least 1/2 cup of it straight out of a bowl with only a few tortilla chips.  It's a really great way to get that protein that's often so overlooked.  

Let me know if you'll try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.