Monday, March 12, 2012

Jesus talks about Isaiah's Prophecies, Part 1

Last week I read something that really startled me.  I've been wanting to share it, but haven't really had the words.  I'm not even sure how clearly I can share it now, but I'm going to try.  It was a prophecy contained in 3 Nephi 20.

Jesus came and visited the Nephites who had been in Bountiful, at the temple site.  He spent the whole day with them, working and showing marvelous miracles among the people.  He also chose 12 to stand as "disciples", to minister and run the affairs of the congregations after he would leave.

They went home that night, after Jesus had ascended, and they gathered together the next day, with an even greater crowd, some people having traveled all night to get there.  More and more wonderful things occur, such that I can't even imagine how Mormon, the compiler of the Book of Mormon, even figured out what to include in this account.  There is just so much!

{After studying these verses for several days, I've lost track of whether or not the part I want to discuss here is during the 2nd or 3rd day of Jesus' visit.  It's amazing how much he packed into just a short span of days.  I'll likely come back to 3 Nephi when I finish my 6 month challenge.} 

He starts talking about Isaiah's prophecies, and how they are so important that we need to search them out.  In 3 Nephi 15:6, he says,
"Behold, I do not destroy the prophets, for as many as have not been fulfilled in me, verily I say unto you, shall all be fulfilled."
This was a very interesting point.  Why doesn't he destroy the prophets' words?  In Sunday School, it was recently discussed how Jesus "fulfilled" the law of Moses.  I was confused, because some folks were saying that even though the law was fulfilled, some, like Peter, apparently were still abstaining from eating particular forms of meat.  I was really confused by the whole thing, as I'm not by any means a scholar of the law of Moses.  I'd barely call myself a student.

However, when Jesus says he doesn't destroy the prophets, I was surprised.  I think I must have affiliated the concept of "fulfilling the law of Moses" with "fulfilling the prophets" together.  This is not the case.  Isaiah's prophecies, among other prophecies left to us in the scriptures, are still yet to be fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.