Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Less I Know

Have you ever felt like by learning more, you find out you know less?

A long time in my life I presumed everything was as I thought it was.  People testify and know all the answers, and I generally trusted everyone, that their intentions were good, and I could put my money where their mouth was.  I could trust people to be worth trusting with my heart, mind and soul.  Often lately, this has proven to me my naivete, and I try to prevent myself from becoming jaded.  All the jaded people I've ever met seemed desperately sad and hopeless.  And cruel on top of it.

Tonight I read some information that makes me feel a little more jaded.  A little less trusting, and a little more frustrated.  I found that the more I learned, the more I found out I didn't know anything.  I was wrong.

I really have appreciated reading the works of Denver Snuffer.  I don't know if he's right on half of what he writes, but I appreciate his effort, as well as his effort at humility.  It has taught me much, including that sometimes being humbled is the only way to learn.  The LORD wants no part of pride.  He prefers us humble.  Being humbled is probably the fastest, and often the most enduring way to learn.  Today I read this post of Snuffer's.  His observation of Joseph Smith's thoughts on friends has become a litmus test for me.  I wonder if Joseph felt humbled at learning some of these same lessons.  I am very grateful for both of these men, and hope to keep learning from them.  Joseph was a great prophet, and I appreciate Snuffer's insights on him.

That said...

The more I learn, the more I find I know less than I ever thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.