Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Note about the Book of Mormon Introduction

When I start the Book of Mormon over, I usually try to include the preliminary things.  I overlooked sharing comments on my thoughts of those when I started.  While I won't go into too much detail, I did want to share one thought that came to me when reading the Introduction.  This is the part I want to focus on, which is quoting Joseph Smith, the prophet who translated the plates on which the Book of Mormon was written:
“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”
Many times people point out the important points which I underlined, but I think often the highlighted part gets overlooked. 

Why are we here?

What is the purpose of life?

Where do we go when we die?

What's the point of church?

Why is life so hard?

These are questions that people seeking religion often ask.  But I think the true question at the heart of those is "How do I get nearer to God?"  And this book is the answer.  

Over the last many months, I have had all sorts of peculiar things happen to my body, physically, that I have determined are spiritual in nature.  I seek answers from gurus and spiritual "mentors", people with "gifts", and read many books to find answers to my unique bodily observations.  But upon reading this line, this time around, I realized that I can always get my answers from God.  To get my answers from God, I can follow the "precepts" shown in this book, and witnessed by countless of its characters.  (I use that term affectionately.  I know they're real.)  So while I enjoy the opportunity to seek help from people with spiritual gifts, I am learning more each day that the BEST way to find my answers, is to seek God directly, and trust the means He has already provided me, which are witnessed of in the scriptures.  

I LOVE the Book of Mormon.  And while I love it, I realize that it is not to be the object of my adoration and worship, just like I am not to worship anyone or anything but God.  When I say that I know "this" or "that" is true, it is all pointing to the bottom line, in that these are tools to help us get back to God, which IS the point of our existence.

Can I get an Amen?!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.