Sunday, September 13, 2015

A Warning of Secret Combinations

Have you ever wanted to get closer to God?  Have you ever found someone who says they have found God, and if you listen to them, or mentor with them, or pay them money, you can become more enlightened?

Have you ever found friends who spoke quietly about God, and told you that the things they have shared really need to be kept secret?  For privacy's sake, because it was so holy?  But because you are so special, so trusted, that they can share their secret with you in confidence?  

Have you ever found a group of friends, who spoke privately about God, and joined up together to talk privately about God, to the exclusion of inviting others?  

Have you ever made an agreement with a group of friends, such as a head nod in understanding, or a verbal, "No, I won't tell," or even an "No, I promise I won't tell," that you would not disclose the private information to anyone outside of the circle?  Not just because it was private and personal, but because it was "sacred"?  Maybe you wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings for not inviting them, or you wouldn't want their company in the first place?  

Ether 4:11-14:

But he that believeth these things which I have spoken, him will I visit with the manifestations of my Spirit, and he shall know and bear record.  For because of my Spirit he shall know that these things are true; for it persuadeth men to do good.
And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me.  I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me – that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me.  For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.  
Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.  
Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief. 
Christ lays the invitation to us to come directly to Him.  No intermediary.  No mentor, paid guru, or enlightened master.  The invitation is free, unrestrained or unrestricted.  He asks us to lay aside our unbelief, and HE will show us line upon line, until we find Him.  HE will be our teacher, that we may learn the knowledge which has been hidden because of unbelief.

Perhaps He will give us help along the way by means of people.  But they will not need share information in secret, nor exclusively at the exclusion of others.

One reason I am outside the bounds of being a "worthy recommend holder" is that I will not ascribe to an oath-like indication for sustaining the leaders of the Church.  Oaths made to any man are suspect, and potentially dangerous.  It is fascinating how easy it is to build and participate in a secret combination.  I have seen them among the Mormons.  I have seen them among my friends, among sisters I visit taught, and among sisters that visit teach me.  I have been a part of some unknowingly, and being kicked out and excluded was ugly.  I see those I care about being invited in to some, and observe their sudden quietness, secrecy, and inability to discuss anything going on in their lives.

When Moses went up to the mount to talk with the Lord, he invited others to come too.  He did not exclude them.

Christ's invitation is OPEN.  It is not CLOSED.  It is not private.  It does not need time to ponder over one's worthiness.  It does not need the approval of a group of other enlightened masters.  Christ invited not only the Jews, but also the Gentiles to come to Him.  That encompasses the whole world.  In fact, he invited the Gentiles first in the verses above.  

If you believe you need to be in the right "circle", the right "club", the right "church", or even to follow the right "prophet" or "apostle", "pastor" or "teacher", rather than going DIRECTLY to the Lord Jesus Christ, I propose and suspect you might have missed the boat.  I only speak it from my own experience.  Belonging to such things is encouraged and promoted in our culture.  It feels good to be included and revered.  However if you are in such a group which intentionally excludes others, consider the possibility that you might be involved in a "secret" combination.  And likewise if you risk expulsion from such a group by talking about it openly with those outside the group, you're likely in one too.

I share this not to judge anyone, but simply realized this is a predominant theme of the Book of Mormon, which no one ever discusses the dangers of.  I was in one and not even realize it.

Christ wants us to come direct, uninvolved and unentangled with oaths of secrecy.

A city on a hill cannot be hid.  It will be powerful because of the Light, Life, and Truth which it contains.

Works of darkness will be destroyed when the light shines on them.  Come to Him, please, I beg.

With love, in Jesus' name.
~Jen    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.