Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Enjoy Baptism

There is a new website, called Born of Water.

I agree with the doctrine of Christ, found in 3 Nephi 11.  It is simple.

When Christ came to the Nephites resurrected, he taught them His doctrine quite quickly.  It was one of the first things He did.

To baptize more or less than what He taught is contrary to His doctrine.

The words of the prayer in 3 Nephi 11 ought to be used.

"And now behold, these are the words which ye shall say, calling them by name, saying: Having authority given me of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."  

When I was 8 years old, my awesome dad baptized me.  He rocks.  He used the words in D&C 20:73.  It reads,

"...Having been comissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

The original Articles and Covenants, as written in the Joseph Smith Papers, Revelations Vol. 1, read thus: 

"And the way of Baptism is to be ministered in the foll owing manner unto all those who Repent whosoever being  called of God & having authority given them of Jesus Christ  shall go down into the water with them & shall say calling  them by name having authority given me of Jesus Christ I  baptize thee in the name of Jesus Christ the Father & of the Son & of the Holy Ghost amen then Shall he immerse them  in the water & come forth again out of the water" 
Where and why was the wording changed from "authority" to "commissioned"?  I have no idea, nor do I even care to know.  Somewhere between the original words and what we have now, the words of the ordinance have been changed.  This calls to mind an interesting warning from Isaiah.

"The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish.  The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.  Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left."  - Isaiah 24:4-6
I don't think we can begin to understand the significance of changing an ordinance.  If an ordinance is to call us to remembrance of Christ, and we adapt it to suit our whims and pleasures, new definitions, or new adaptations, is it of any worth?  This logic is the reason we are so strict to complete temple ordinances with such exactness.  Exactness is a principle we ought to take note of.

If your baptism fell under adapted, changed words, is it of any worth?  Ought it to be repeated, using the words Christ directed us to use?  He said that more or less than this is evil.  Was my first baptism by my dad sufficient?  I don't think Jesus is trying to demonize anyone, however the strength of the words is exact.  He is illustrating how important exactness is.  By ignoring it, we are un-exact, sloppy, and slothful.

In aiming to follow with exactness, I believe Christ in His mercy has brought to light the incorrectness of our ordinance, through those with eyes to see.  There are those who have earnestly sought authority from God, and upon receiving heavenly confirmation, are offering to baptize using the words commanded by Christ.  We ought to obey.

I have experienced baptism three times in my life.  Each time was awesome!  I will likely experience more, as I believe this is something we ought to do as often as needed.  We practice faith throughout our lives, and offer daily acts of it.  We practice repentance throughout our lives as well.  Once and done is not enough.  Until I find direction from Christ that it is a sin to repeat baptism, I will likely continue to practice it, exactly as I do with faith, repentance, and receiving the Holy Ghost in my life.  The Jews practice Mikvah, or routine immersion in water.  Christ practiced that, as he fulfilled each detail of the law of Moses.  The Book of Mormon illustrates account after account of rebaptism, we just need eyes to see.

If you would like to experiment to observe the fruits, feel free to utilize this website to find someone close to you who would be happy to volunteer to assist in helping you fulfill this commandment.  I am certain it blesses those who receive, as well as those who stand to perform the ordinance.

May the Lord God bless you with increased LOVE as you consider receiving baptism throughout your life!  May you observe the most delicious fruit from it as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.