Tuesday, December 20, 2011

6 Month Challenge - Spiritual Gifts

Part of my 6 month challenge included an assignment, to pick a topic to look out for in my reading.  I was to write it inside the cover of a new copy of The Book of Mormon, and then highlight any verses where the topic comes up.  Here's what's inside my cover:

Focus:
Gifts of the Spirit
Angels
Dreams
Visions
Etc.
I find it interesting lately, how many people are leery of anyone professing to have gifts of the Spirit.  But they are talked about ALL the time in the scriptures.  This challenge is truly evidence of that for me, as I'm marking all these verses in blue colored pencil.  I found one again in Omni, a very seldomly quoted book, where many generations had opportunity to pen a few verses.  Here is Amaleki speaking:

"...I shall deliver up these plates unto [king Benjamin], exhorting all men to come unto God, the Holy One of Israel, and believe in prophesying, and in revelations, and in the ministering of angels, and in the gift of speaking with tongues, and in the gift of interpreting languages, and in all things which are good; for there is nothing which is good save it comes from the Lord: and that which is evil cometh from the devil."  (Omni 1:25, italics added)

(Sorry, I don't have source info for this.  If you know it, please let me know so I can cite {or get permission!;}.  So beautiful!)
It seems a lot of people these days are hesitant to believe anything that is extraordinary.  Most of us use cell phones, wireless internet, fly in airplanes, and do or use many things that work by unseen means, but when we hear of someone who can prophesy or do things we don't understand, we often automatically chalk it up to being evil –of the devil.  Amaleki cautions us to observe whether or not it is "good".  For he wants us to believe in these good, marvelous gifts.  Is that not what Christ did?  The most extraordinary, wonderful miracle for all of us?  

We are to continue to believe.  And more than that –to know, and experience the blessings of these things. 

~Jen:)
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I also agree with Amaleki when he says to believe in all things which are good. It certainly takes some observation sometimes to determine, but that's what discernment is all about. Isn't it nice to have a gift of the Spirit that will help us to better understand the difference between that which comes from God and that which comes from the devil?
    I have always felt like I had this gift and truly, I do. Lately, though I've been seeking in areas that are so far beyond the normal scope of our Sunday lessons that I've found myself wholly relying upon discernment and the Spirit to lead me through new knowledge to determine whether it is good or evil. I am truly grateful for this gift of the Spirit which has allowed me to become so much more of a Son of God than I was just six months ago when I moved to Utah.

    ReplyDelete

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.