Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Witnessing the Writing

Omni 1:9 - "Now I, Chemish, write what few things I write, in the same book with my brother; for behold, I saw the last which he wrote, that he wrote it with his own hand; and he wrote it in the day that he delivered them unto me.  And after this manner we keep the records, for it is according to the commandments of our fathers.  And I make an end." 
A few things struck me about this verse.  

First was the fact that Chemish points out that this is the manner that they keep their records, and it's according to the commandments of their fathers to do it a certain way.   
  1. He had to witness the writing.
  2. It was physically written by the author doing the "speaking".
  3. The writing was finished by the author on the day it was delivered to the next author, who was acting as witness.
It never occurred to me that due to these points, the second fact is pertinent: the Law of Witnesses.  Chemish points out that this was a commandment of the fathers, meaning each writer in the Book of Mormon must do it this way.  There must be at least two witnesses to what was being written.  One was the writer, and the second was the soon-to-be receiver of the plates, and possibly those in his company.  And we get to be the third, upon receiving the words from them.  

~Jen:)
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.