Friday, December 2, 2011

2 Nephi 25, Take 1

My Bishopric gave our ward (congregation) a challenge a few weeks ago, which was to read The Book of Mormon in 6 months or less.  I'm giving it a go.  

Currently, I'm on p. 98, which is 2 Nephi 25.  In the previous chapters, Nephi had recounted the prophecies of Isaiah, and in chapter 25, he decided to explain a little why he did that.  He says that his people, who have now been out of Jerusalem for nearly 40 years, don't know much of the Jews.  He chose not to teach them such things, because of the Jews' wickedness at the time.  He says that the people of the "last days" (vs. 8) will understand these prophecies, and will "know of a surety, at the times when they shall come to pass" (vs.7).  I find this fascinating.

I still read the prophecies of Isaiah, and have no idea what they're talking about, except a few select verses.  So many references to names and places are intimidating, but Nephi says in vs. 5, "I know that the Jews do understand the things of the prophets, and there is none other people that understand the things which were spoken unto the Jews like unto them, save it be that they are taught after the manner of the things of the Jews."  Wow.  So it looks like I need to find a faithful Jewish follower to more greatly understand these prophecies.

Any faithful Jews out there who want to help me understand Isaiah?

~Jen:)
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. There is a book called "Isaiah Speaks to Modern Times" that is amazing. The author is Cleon Skousen and he gives a verse by verse commentary on the entire book of Isaiah. I haven't finished it yet, but what I have read is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like something I'd definitely want to get my hands on. Thanks for sharing, Jarom!

    ReplyDelete

Has this post affected you for good? Please share your thoughts.